Mass gainers are food supplements that have been around for a very long time and are commonly used by bodybuilders. By definition, mass gainers are something that you take, typically in shake form, to help you gain weight by increasing your calorie intake.
It usually contains carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Do take note though, that this is a food supplement so it should still be taken in combination with weight training and a balanced diet for you to see results.
In case you are shopping for a good mass gainer, we have rounded up three products below to help you choose which is the best mass gainer for your needs.
Best Mass Gainers
Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer Protein Powder, Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin D for Immune Support, Vanilla, 6 Pound (Packaging May Vary)
Dymatize Super Mass Gainer Protein Powder, 1280 Calories & 52g Protein, 10.7g BCAAs, Mixes Easily, Tastes Delicious, Gourmet Vanilla, 12 lbs
Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer
This product contains 1,250 calories each two-scoop serving. Each serving contains 25 vitamins and minerals, glutamine, 50 grams of protein and more than 250 grams of carbohydrates. It does not contain any sugar so it’s perfect for those who have a low-sugar diet.
The Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer comes in different flavors-banana, chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, strawberry, and vanilla. This weight gainer can be mixed with your favorite food such as nuts and frozen fruits, but you have to use an electric blender when mixing so as to prevent clumps.
This mass gainer is best taken before bed, in between meals, and after a workout. This product is not recommended to be taken if you are nursing and pregnant. In addition, you need to consult your physician if you are under 18, taking other medications or have a pre-existing condition like diabetes and hypoglycemia.
- It tastes good. In addition, it comes in different flavors.
- This product best works for those who are skinny with a high metabolic rate.
- It will help you put on weight fast.
- It can be a meal substitute.
- It gives you more energy.
- It does not contain sugar.
- The manufacturer provides customer service.
- This product contains milk, egg, soy, and wheat which are allergens.
- It does not mix well with water.
- It can upset the stomach at first use.
- You really need a blender to be able to mix this well-shaking it will just result in clumps.
- It may cause gas problems.
- It may make you bloated at first.
- Some of the flavors do not taste good.
- It may cause migraines.
- The big scoop is too huge for some users.
Dymatize Super Mass Gainer
The Dymatize Super Mass Gainer contains 1260 calories each serving, which has 252 grams of carbohydrates, 52 grams of whey protein powder, 10.2 grams of branched chain amino acids, and 5.2 grams of L-Leucine. This product has been manufactured in a sports and GMP-certified facility.
Most mass gainers have weird tastes but not this because it comes in different flavors-cookies and cream, chocolate cake batter, rich chocolate, gourmet vanilla, sugar cookie, and strawberry.
This mass gainer has to be mixed with milk or water in an electric blender. If you want to gain some weight and have a gluten-free diet, this product is perfect for you.
For maximum results, it is recommended that you take this three times a day, one in the morning, the afternoon and 20 to 30 minutes before hitting the sack. Lactating and pregnant women should avoid taking this and if you have an existing medical condition, it is recommended that you consult a physician first.
- It does not contain amino spike.
- This product is gluten-free.
- Its fat content is lower than competing brands.
- It is gluten-free.
- It can be mixed with other types of food such as peanut butter and fruits.
- It comes in different flavors and they all taste good.
- It can be taken as a meal replacement.
- It will truly help you gain weight as long as you follow a proper diet.
- It contains milk, egg, and soy which are allergens.
- The scoop is a bit large for some users.
- It may give you an upset stomach.
- It contains 55 grams of sugar.
- It can be clumpy so it is recommended to use a blender to mix it well.
- It can make you feel bloated.
- It can cause gas.
- The manufacturer does not provide customer service.
Body Fortress Super Advanced Mass Gainer
This mass gainer from Body Fortress contains more than 1000 calories per serving; furthermore, it has 40 grams of protein, eight grams of BCAA, 198 grams of carbohydrates, and 2.5 grams of betaine anhydrous. This product does not contain aspartame and gluten and it comes in two flavors which are vanilla and chocolate.
It is recommended to mix 12 fluid ounces of water with three scoops of this mass gainer. However, for maximum strength, it is suggested to mix 20-24 fluid ounces of water with six scoops of the product. To be able to see noticeable results, proper diet and exercise must be observed in conjunction with this mass gainer.
In addition, the amount of water you will use can be adjusted according to the consistency that you want so if you want it thicker, you need to decrease the amount of water and vice versa.
The manufacturer also recommends that the [easyazon_link identifier=”B00P6RTBLQ” locale=”US” tag=”HPD”]Body Fortress Super Advanced Mass Gainer[/easyazon_link]is taken before and after each workout. Finally, you should see a doctor first before taking this if you are taking medications, pregnant, lactating or have an existing medical condition.
- It does not have wheat, yeast, and preservatives.
- It can be mixed with fruits, almond milk, and other types of food.
- It is also gluten-free.
- The manufacturer provides customer service.
- Most of its flavors taste good.
- It can be used as a meal replacement as well.
- It can be too sweet for some users.
- Like other mass gainers, this is also difficult to mix with water and milk so it is recommended to use a blender.
- It comes in two flavors only.
- It can cause an upset stomach.
- It contains allergens such as milk and soy.
- It may make you bloated.
- You need a lot of scoops to get 1000 calories.
Best Mass Gainer Among the Three
All these three products have the same side effects which are upset stomach or bloatedness. In addition, all three are difficult to mix; you will need an electric blender so you can have a shake with good consistency. Another drawback that they commonly have is the huge amount of powder you will need to be able to get maximum results.
The best mass gainer, if you don’t want too much sugar in your diet, is the Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer. When it comes to flavors, the better choices are either Dymatize Super Mass Gainer or Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer because they offer several.
However, all three products have similar effects as long as you combine them with a good diet and exercise so any of the three will do.